George Will has a very well-researched, and very accurate, column describing in painstaking detail the government-pushed folly that is the Chevy Volt. It's all there:
- it's not electric, it's a hybrid
- the government is using taxpayer dollars to bribe people to buy it
- bankrupt California is tacking on its own bribe ... for the Nissan Leaf only, as the Volt is a hybrid
- Even with the bribe it's pricey
- to charge it you use home electricity - produced largely by coal-fired plants
- it's battery has a range of 40 miles - or less
- it seats only four - the battery is quite large
- GM is still 61% government-owned, and paid back some of it's government debt with more government debt.
Alas, this is yet more evidence that the government does not know best - but you already knew that. The hosannas from green-thinking people notwithstanding, the Volt is not the automotive equivalent of Reardon Metal.